12 April 2011

I have decided.  That I should just stop going to my OB appointments.  This entire winter, every single OB appointment I have coincided with bad weather, or just plain old bad roads.

Last appointment (2 weeks ago) had a special spin to it.  I had failed my 1-hour glucose test and had to take the 3-hour test.  This test requires you to start fasting at midnight the night before.  Getting your blood drawn once after you've been fasting; drinking this special, 'yummy' orange potion (which really I don't find so bad... a lot like flat orange soda); and then having your blood drawn at 1, 2 and 3 hours post-drink.

I already had an appointment scheduled for 1:30 in the afternoon, so I decided I'd just do the test then.  M had just come off of working 3 double shifts in a row, and I wanted him to be able to sleep as long as possible before I left him with the boys to head to Williston.  The roads were, of course, bad and it took me longer than planned to get there.

Going to jump over a bunch of minor details.  Important facts: I'm pregnant.  I hadn't ate in 14+ hours.

Between my 2nd and 3rd blood draw I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up the groceries I needed.  I RAN through the store, and successfully got everything on my list in 30 minutes.  And then got the slowest cashier in the world.  Who felt the need to make a comment about every single thing I was purchasing. 

"Oh, I need some of this."
"Hmm, I haven't tried this yet.  It looks good."
"I love fruit snacks too."
"Do you like rice?  You must like rice.  I don't like rice."

And so it went.  I'm hungry.  I'm tired.  I'm tapping my fingers on the counter.  I'm ignoring her.  I need to be out of this store and back to my doctors office at exactly 4:32 PM.

Finally she was done.  I run (literally, run) through the parking lot with my cart load of groceries and start to unload them.  And then the guy who was behind me in the checkout walks by.  2 seconds after I've picked up the dog food.  He offers to put the dog food in the truck, and then says he'll unload all my groceries for him.  We talk about how SLOW the cashier was.  And I mention that I have to be somewhere in exactly 7 minutes.  He so very kindly offered to push the cart back for me so I could get on my way.

I walked through the doors to the office at exactly 4:32 PM.

After the blood draw I grab something to eat and happily head home.  Once home it was a little while before M started unloading the groceries.  After one trip in the house he asked me if someone had helped me.  I told him yes, and how wonderful and sweet this guy was.  M had a funny look on his face.  I asked if something was wrong.  And he handed me a set of keys.  This poor guy had dropped his keys in the bed of my truck.  And I didn't know.  Until 2 1/2 hours later.

Fast forward again... I ended up having to get back in the truck and driving the 1 1/2 hours back there to bring him his keys.  He had just moved here, knew no one, and had been sitting in Wal-Mart hoping I'd call.

And then today's appointment.  It was all going fine.  Just a quick check-up.  Yes, the numbers on the scale are still creeping higher.  My blood pressure is good.  Lil' M's heartbeat is good.  All done.  Grab a few groceries and head home.  2 miles out of Williston the Jeep starts acting a little weird.  Not too weird, same problem its had on and off for the past 3-4 years.  And then it got worse.  20 miles outside of Williston the 'check engine' light came on.  And then engine/RPMs started doing crazy things.  It would be in the normal 2000 RPMs @ 65mph, and all of the sudden the engine would rev and shoot up to 3000 RPMs.  So I called M, told him what was going on, and to be prepared if I should call back saying I needed a ride home.  It was if it was losing power and then overcompensating to keep the same speed.  Eventually if I was going 60 MPH it was shooting up to 4000+ RPMs.  And hills did it in.  I was able to drive it all the way to Crosby, where M met me, and we left it at the garage.  The best way to describe it, is it felt like it was running out of gas.  Even though there was 1/2 a tank.  And I drove it 60 miles.  We'll see what they say about it tomorrow.

But it has lead me to believe that I should just stop going to these little, quick check-ups.  They don't bring good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment